The BHYC Junior Program is looking for sailing instructors to teach beginner and intermediate sailing during the summer of 2020. Beginner Instruction is primarily in Optis and Techs, while intermediate sailors may sail Optis, Tech’s and/or 420’s depending on size, conditions, desire and current skill level. Keelboats may also be utilized in classes.
The summer program runs from 6/22/20 – 8/21/20 with set up, training, and orientation the week of 6/15/20. Instructors are generally scheduled from 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, although we are willing to discuss other arrangements. Instructors are paid hourly. In addition to a variety of opportunities to sail, overtime is available for social events as well as to help run races on evenings and occasional weekends. Staff housing is available across the street from the Junior Program facility, and staff is granted use of program equipment during the season.
Boothbay Harbor Yacht Club (BHYC) is located in mid-coast Maine and has been celebrating sailing for nearly 125 years. The BHYC Junior Program has a long history of of teaching juniors sailing and tennis, operating in its current location since 1955. The junior program was able to open a brand new facility to house its operations this past summer and maintains a fleet of 12 Zim 420’s, 36 Optis, 9 Tech Dinghies and 6 coach boats. In addition to our dinghies, we share use of 3 J-22’s and a BHOD ( a 21 foot club class day sailor) with Adult Sailing. We offer classes for sailors from 6 – 18 at all levels from beginner to advanced racer, focusing on both racing and recreational sailing and seamanship for members and non members alike.
Our sailing instructors will be expected to:
– Maintain a professional and fun demeanor at all times, keeping safety in mind
– Work alongside other staff, the director, and junior instructors to ensure that all students are
progressing and having fun
– Model respect for the water, each other, and our equipment at all times
– Follow all reporting guidelines
– Have and maintain at least US Sailing Level 1 Certification. Certification Reimbursement is available for the right candidate.
– Maintain a growth mindset with kids, colleagues, and self
– Provide regular skills assessments to sailors, parents, and other program staff regarding the best class
placement for that sailor
– Provide supervision during lunch to sailors.
Our ideal candidates will have a variety of experience sailing boats of different types and sizes and have a love for kids and sailing.