This is a follow up to this post.
This “pay-to-play” thread has brought up the cost of offshore racing, with a 10-20k number thrown around a few times. Interested in what others’ estimates are for a competitive 35-40′ boat doing say Annapolis or Newport > Bermuda. With just some quick back-of-envelope numbers, I’m getting roughly between 20-30k.
Sails & rigging: $12,500 – 16,500
- #4 heavy wx jib meeting SER requirements: $4000-5500
- storm jib & trisail: $2000-2500
- Spare halyard & sheets, snatch blocks, extra shackles, etc… : $1000
- (optional) Code zero (for those long reaches): 5500-7500
Safety & electronics: $3500 – 8350
- Satphone & Iridium Go rentals for 2 weeks: $1000
- Weather routing (Predictwind pro vs Expedition): $250 / 1300
- EPIRB: $350
- Liferaft (rental / purchase) $1100 / 2500
- SOLAS flares, backup lights, radar reflector, bilge pump, misc repair supplies: $800-1200
- (Optional) AIS beacons for 8x crew: $2000
Consumables & Misc: $4000 – 4800
- Food (8x for 10 days): 1200-2000
- Gas: 100
- Dockage: 500
- Entry Fees & ORR cert: 1600
- Safety at sea + 1st aid cert: 600
- Jump in and discuss!