Knut Frostad’s extended announcement about the new Farr/VOD65 is worth a listen, but if you don’t have the time, here are the points that we haven’t already covered in our reports on the new design:
- Volvo is financing the build of the 8 boats that VOR management and the build consortium have committed to for the next race. This gives the organization huge versatility in matching teams to sponsors pulled in by their commercial division.
- The boats are going to cost about 30% less than existing boats.
- The logistics involved in repair and maintenance for a one-design fleet should cut costs and headaches substantially.
- The boats should still be capable of record runs in the right conditions, and provide slightly more protection for the crews.
- Those crews will number 8 per boat, plus one MCM. Ten per boat for sailor chicks.
Here’s the short news report from VOR TV, and be sure to check in on this page for the live In-Port Race and final leg start on Saturday and Sunday.